Skip to main content

How to prepare for summer travel


Sunny Isles Beach, Florida 04/2019

Designing interior space starts with good planning and I use the same approach when I travel. Research should start early so the adventure you are on is as free of stress as possible.
Research the state or country for what you want to see, the weather and where you want to dine, then wrap up your plan, pack and GO!
Many people say they do not know how to pack.
Don’t panic. Here are my tips from many years of travel.
What kind of travel are you planning? Business, visits to family, sightseeing, beach vacation?
What are the nighttime events and what weather should you expect?

What to wear? I love to travel and have tried many approaches when it comes time to pack.
Choose one outfit per day so you don’t over pack, a common problem, some advise.
This approach didn’t work for me as I always end up mixing and matching depending upon mood and weather changes. But think out what goes with what and limit yourself.
I narrow down a color pallet and select a few accent colors that work for me so I don’t over pack. Examples are black and white and gray with purple and orange accents. I like a few pattern tops and scarves that give an outfit “edge.” Another color combo is jeans and white, light gray with coral and green accents. Make sure you choose clothes that do not wrinkle easily.
I love jackets, shoes and purses and a color pallet helps me narrow my choices.

I avoid taking lots of jewelry and accessories as I have noticed I only wear half. I only pick jewelry that goes with my clothing choices, mixing gold and silver and a couple of earrings and necklaces.

I strongly recommend travel accessories and organizer bags. The best invention ever!
eBags Packing Cubes - 3 Piece Set - eBags.com travel storage bags for packing - Bing - Shoppingbest packing bags for travel - Bing - Shopping
I like to have a bag with tops like blouses and T-shirts, a bag with bottoms, like shorts, jeans, skirts, a bag with dresses, a bag for lingerie, sleepwear and socks. If I’m going to the beach I have one bag with all beachwear including swimsuits, cover-ups, towels, hats (that fold) and a bag for jackets and coats.
When we travel we share a suitcase. We each use a different bag set so we know whose is whose.

Other Tips: 
Fold clothes to make more luggage room and reduce wrinkling.
Do not fully utilize all the space. Leave breathing room for souvenirs and laundry,
Bag all toiletries in Ziploc bags to avoid spillage.
Pack an extra outfit in your carry-on, especially traveling internationally.

Travel is the best. I love it for the food, adventure, the break from routine, meeting people and learning new cultures. I’m always counting the days until
my next adventure.

_____________________________________________________________________
Picks from spring break trip to Hong Kong 

 
Stanley Beach
Fishing Village, Tai O

Hong Kong Ferry

Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery
Hong Kong Park

Harbor City
Big Buddha, Lantau

_____________________________________________________________________

April 2019 trip to Sunny Isles Beach, Florida

Yacht Club, Sunny Isles Beach 

Miami Beach
Jacqueline,  will you marry me?



Miami Beach Boardwalk, Mid-Beach

 Have I put you in the mood to travel? Have fun!

-Dulce

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE’S WHAT’S NEW IN KITCHEN DESIGN

For those people who like to feel current by following trends, there’s a lot going on in kitchen design to bring excitement and newness to this most productive room in your home.  As an interior designer, I am bombarded with new options for materials, finishes and other ideas this time of year. If you are ready to try something new, consider the following: Matte Black & Grey Finishes. via houzz Kitchen Sink --   What’s “in” now is concrete, stone, copper and granite composite sinks in darker hues of gray, bronze or black. (see picture above) Last year , satin brass made its debut in kitchens and that trend continues in other interior spaces. This finish looks amazing against almost any color and when mixed with other finishes creates an eclectic look. In 2018, look for matte black in baths as well. If you are looking for a statement-making look that is both contemporary and complementary with a variety of materials and styles, embrace this versatile finish. Brass -

Useful ideas on choosing a bookcase

Du interiors  Bookcases can be classical, fanciful, functional and personal …they really add to the anatomy of a room. They display your favorite reads as well as framed memories. There are so many options on deciding on the best for your nest. Here are important considerations. What Size Should Your Bookcase Be? The most basic consideration is size. How much space do you have in the room you have in mind? If space is ample, wide bookcases that measure several feet across are a good design idea. However, if room is small, go up! Taller bookcases work in space limitations, if you plan on placing a lot on them. Otherwise, one or more small bookcases would work.  Measure the room before you shop. What Type of Bookcase Do You Want? If you need inspiration, we suggest checking out houzz.com , Pinterest, Instagram, and so forth. There are so many choices on the market. What is Your Budget? Prices range from several hundred dollars to thousands if you want a custom built-in. If yo

When a year comes to an end it is a time to reflect back and look forward.

It’s a time to wish you a very Happy New Year from Du Interiors!  No doubt we have all had a difficult and different two years with all kinds of challenges. A lot has changed for all of us. But we are still here. It’s a time for gratitude. It takes many forms. For me I am thankful that my interior design consulting business has kept me active in my creative environment. It gave me the opportunity to reconnect with old friends and clients not just in Oregon but also in Texas, Arizona, California and Washington. Designing attractive spaces so that people enjoy their environments and seeing it all pulled together to create a welcoming aura is a mutually pleasing. Glendale Home, AZ  San Diego Home, CA Walls Walla Home, WA My business has grown to include not only local clients but long distance Interior Design Consulting and Full Design Presentations via Zoom. Thanks to modern technology you can see some of these projects on my Website and on Du Interiors Instagram . Outdoor Space, T